These support services are available to nephrologists in Victoria.
Multidisciplinary Team meetings
Multidisciplinary teams bring together specialists in nephrology and genetics to discuss support for patients.
Multidisciplinary team (MDT) meetings are open to all nephrologists from Victoria. Each meeting is supported by a nephrologist with an interest in genetic kidney disease, a clinical geneticist, a renal nurse, and a genetic counsellor.
You can present any patient for whom you need support or advice. You can also ask general questions, such as identifying eligible patients, referral pathways or expediting a test.
- MDT meetings are held via Zoom, typically on Thursdays but dependent on demand.
- To present a patient, please call the Genetic Counsellor Support Line, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the genomics champion at your hospital.
- It is useful – but not mandatory – to provide a brief background on patients to be presented at an MDT meeting.
- If you are not able to attend the MDT meeting, you are welcome to nominate a colleague or your local genomics champion to present a patient on your behalf.
Support from Genetic Counsellors
Statewide support line
Nephrologists in Victoria can call 0417 115 780 during business hours (9am-5pm weekdays) or email email@example.com.
Genetic counsellors are available for onsite support at:
- Monash Health: Call 0417 115 780 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Royal Melbourne Hospital: Call 0466 505 013
- The Royal Children’s Hospital: Call (03) 9345 5054 or email email@example.com
- Austin Health: Message Giulia Valente or Anna Leaver via Teams chat, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
These genetic counsellors are also available to support you with advice via phone or email if you work at other hospitals in Victoria, including private practice. If you are already part of a network which is supported by these hospitals, please contact the relevant site. If you are unsure, feel free to call 0417 115 780 during business hours (9am-5pm weekdays). You can also email email@example.com.
Some hospitals have ‘genomics champions’ – staff members who are upskilled in genomics and able to support other clinicians with queries.
|Monash Health||Dr Kushani Jayasinghe (nephrologist), Dr Ben Lazarus (nephrologist), Ms Kathryn Visser (genetic counsellor), Dr Matthew Regan (clinical geneticist), Ms Paula Bussa (renal nurse)|
|Austin Health||A/Prof John Whitlam (nephrologist), Dr Mia Leung (nephrologist), Ms Giulia Valente (genetic counsellor), Ms Anna Leaver (genetic counsellor), Dr Simon Bodek (geneticist), Ms Jen Bakker (renal nurse)|
|The Royal Melbourne Hospital||A/Prof Kathy Nicholls (nephrologist), Dr Mandy Law (nephrologist), Mr Jack Wheeler (genetic counsellor), Dr Russell Gear (geneticist), Ms Andrea Ward (renal nurse)|
|The Royal Children’s Hospital||A/Prof Cathy Quinlan (nephrologist), Mr Yoni Elbaum (genetic counsellor), Ms Ella Wilkins (genetic counsellor), Prof Zornitza Stark (geneticist), Mr Brendan Cusack (renal nurse).|